Your hormones might be wreaking havoc with your health. Your thyroid, adrenals, ovaries, pancreas, and other organs work together to keep your hormones in balance. If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, it might be time to get your hormones assessed.
- Irregular menstruation
- Painful menstruation
- Weight gain
- Foggy thinking
- Water retention
- Hot flashes
- Night sweats
Dr. Rahima has also done additional training in Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy
What is BHRT?
Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy is the use of hormones that are derived from plant or food sources. Being derived this way, the hormones are structurally very similar to hormones made in the human body. The benefit of this approach to treating is that the body is able to freely recognize and use this compounds to their maximum potential.
What are some signs and symptoms that my hormones may be imbalanced?
Some of the signs and symptoms that your hormones may be imbalanced include:
- Irregular or absent menstrual cycles
- Premenstrual Symptoms (PMS) (ie. Breast tenderness, bloating, mood swings, cramping, low back pain, etc.)
- Low libido
- Hot flashes
- Vaginal dryness
- Conditions include: Fibroids, Endometriosis, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
What are some of the benefits of BHRT?
Some of the benefits you will notice with BHRT include:
- Balanced mood
- Increased energy and focus
- Regular menstrual cycles
- Decreased perimenopausal symptoms such as hot flashes, insomnia and vaginal dryness
Who can benefit from BHRT?
Anyone who has a clear hormone imbalance can benefit from BHRT. However, this is not always the first option, we as Naturopathic Doctors typically like to use diet, lifestyle, supplements and botanical medicine before opting to use BHRT.
Is BHRT a safe treatment option?
Hormone replacement has come a long way since its initial use. The main concerns with HRT include your risk of blood clots, breast cancer and endometrial cancer. There is an increased risk of breast cancer, endometrial cancer and blood clots with ORAL estrogen. With TRANSDERMAL estrogen, there is no risk for blood clots and a decreased risk of breast cancer compared to oral estrogen. Added natural progesterone prevents endometrial cancer and has the added benefit of protecting breast tissue and reducing the risk of breast cancer. In summary the combination of transdermal estrogen WITH progesterone (oral or topical) has no risk of blood clots, minimal risk of breast cancer and no risk of endometrial cancer. If you would like any references to these statements please contact Dr. Rahima Hirji, ND.
What can I expect coming to the clinic for hormone health?
- Thorough investigation into your health history including all aspects of your lifestyle (ie. Energy, stress, sleep, exercise, etc.)
- Lab testing – determining which lab test is right for you (ie. Urine DUTCH test, Saliva test, or blood test)
- Diet diary
- Hormone healthy quiz and assessment
- Meal planning
- Treatment plan including diet, lifestyle, professional supplement prescription based on intake and lab findings
(anything else missing here?!)
Please expect to be very much involved in the process. We as Naturopathic Doctors like to be just as committed to your health as you are. Hormones can be tricky but once we understand the root cause together it can alleviate symptoms and get you feeling like your optimal self!
Want to learn more? Book a complimentary 15-minute consult.